Ranking First in Google: 4 Reasons to Not Make This the Only Goal for Your Law Firm (Pt. 2)
Picking up where Ranking First in Google: 4 Reasons to Not Make This Your Only Goal (Pt. 1) left off here, here, we’ll continue highlighting some of the primary reasons why you may want to rethink striving for that number one spot in search engines.
More Reasons Why a Number One Ranking May Not Be the Best Focus
3 – Ranking first in search engines can actually attract the wrong users/attention.A number one ranking in Google can capture a lot of attention, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the attention you want for your site. In fact, when sites hold a first ranking for highly searched terms, they can actually end up being targets for:
- Competitors, who may be focused on targeting your site with negative SEO tactics to try to bring it down from that number spot
- Spammers and/or hackers, who may try to piggyback off of your success, add your site to their spammy networks, etc.
While having a trusted company like Epic Web Results host and maintain your website can help you avoid such negative impacts of ranking number one, the main takeaway here is that ranking well (like on page 1 of search queries), rather than ranking number one, can provide some of main benefits of having a first ranking while avoiding some of the potential negative attention/impacts associated with it.
4 – A number one ranking doesn’t guarantee conversions.
While we’ve pointed out some important reasons that you may want to shift your focus from trying to achieve a number one ranking in Google, this may be, perhaps, the single most significant reason to do so. The fact of the matter is that a first ranking in Google does NOT mean that you will necessarily see more conversions from an online audience to potential leads/new clients.
- There are many “drop-off” points at which users can stop participating in the process that leads to conversion.
- If your site has poor copy, isn’t targeting the right phrases/topics, is poorly designed, etc., more traffic can actually lead to higher bounce rates, which could end up making a high ranking very ephemeral.
- Focusing on conversion and what can be done to increase your site’s conversion rates can be a far more fruitful endeavor than focusing on a number one ranking.
The Bottom Line
The bottom line about ranking first in Google is that, while it can be a good goal in some cases, it should not be your ONLY goal when it comes to having an effective Internet marketing strategy for your business.
By understanding the bigger picture, as well as how your site is doing in terms of other important factors (such as bounce rates, conversion rates, etc.), you can reshape your goals to make them:
- More realistic and achievable
- Produce just as beneficial results (if not, in some cases, more beneficial results) than holding the coveted first ranking in search results.
Effective Internet Marketing Solutions at Epic Web Results
Are you ready to develop a dynamic, engaging website for your business? Or do you need help updating and optimizing your existing site? If so, it’s time to contact the trusted industry professionals at Epic Web Results. We are up to date with the latest advances in Internet marketing and SEO best practices, and we are highly adept at designing and maintaining optimized websites that will promote business’ online success.
Our goal is to provide your business or firm with aggressive, effective Internet marketing solutions that will help attract potential new clients while continuing to engage existing clients.