8 Types of Google Penalties & How your Law Firm can Recover from Them (Pt. 2)
Resuming 8 Types of Google Penalties & How to Recover from Them (Pt. 1), here, we will continue pointing out some of the various penalties that can impact websites’ rankings, traffic and success.
More Google Penalties Explained
4 – Page-Specific Google PenaltiesAs the name implies, these types of Google penalties will target a certain page (or few related pages) on websites when things like the following may be related to these pages:
- Spam-like user comments on the page
- Spam-like links posted in comments’ sections
- Other linking or keyword issues that violate Google’s best practices.
With page-related Google penalties, it’s important to note that:
- About Us and Company Overview pages tend to be the targets of such Google penalties.
- These penalties can be imposed on one or more pages of websites at any given time.
- Seeing sudden drops in certain pages’ rankings – while the rankings for other pages on the site may stay relatively the same or even increase – can indicate that this type of penalty has been imposed on a site.
5 – De-Listing Google Penalties
Also referred to as de-indexation, this type of Google penalty is among the worst that can impact websites, as it effectively results in sites being removed from search engine inquiry results. De-listing Google penalties are generally reserved for websites that have largely or completely violated Google’s Guidelines and best practices by doing things like, for instance, using Black Hat SEO and/or web design techniques.
When these types of comprehensive Google penalties have been handed down, a quick way to check if a particular website has been affected is to do the following:
- Go to a Google search page.
- Type in the query: “site:mysite.com” (with “mysite.com” being the URL of the particular site you are checking).
- Check the results. If the site you are checking does NOT appear in the results, it quite possibly has been the result of de-indexation.
6 – The “-X” Penalty
With these types of Google penalties, various elements of a website can be the subjects of penalties, with each of the penalties potentially even differing across these elements. In particular, the “-X” penalty can affect any of the following (or other) aspects of websites:
- Keywords or keyword phrases, with the penalty potentially being “-A”
- Pages, with the penalty potentially being “-B”
- Categories or directories, with the penalty potentially being “-C.”
In these cases, A, B, and C would be different numbers by which the rankings for that element of the website would drop. So, if A is 20, then a website’s keywords associated with that penalty would drop in rankings by 20 spots.
For some additional important info about common Google penalties – and how to recover from them, be sure to look for the conclusion to this blog series that will be published soon.
Effective Internet Marketing Solutions at Epic Web Results
Has your site been the subject of a Google penalty? Or are you looking to develop an optimized site right the first time? If so, it’s time to contact the professionals at Epic Web Results.
Our extensive experience developing the best possible online results for our Clients means that we consistently provide a variety of cost-effective Internet marketing solutions that can ultimately help grow our Clients’ businesses. Our goal is to provide your business or firm with aggressive, effective Internet marketing solutions that will help attract potential new clients while continuing to engage existing clients.