Migrating Your Website: An Overview of Site Moves (Pt. 2)
Concluding our two-part blog Migrating Your Website: An Overview of Site Moves (Pt. 1), below, we continue discussing how site moves should be carried out in order to prevent any possible negative impacts to the site’s ranking in search engines. While the first part of this blog focused on site moves when there is no URL (address) change, here we will take a closer look at how site moves should proceed when there are URL changes involved in the process.If you have questions about this process or need any assistance with migrating your site, contact Epic Web Results.
Site Moves When URL Changes Are Involved
When the URL of a site will be changed as part of the site move, the steps for migrating the website should generally include the following, according to Google webmasters:
- Prepare the new site – Before the site move can occur, the space in which the new site will exist has to be prepared. This can involve setting up a new content management system, transferring images and configuring the required TLS certificates on the server.
- Prepare the URL mapping – This generally involves mapping the site’s old URLs to the URLs for the new site. How this specifically plays out will depend on the details of the site move.
- Initiate the site move – When URL mapping has been accurately completed (including working redirects), the site move can proceed. Google webmasters advise moving all URLs for a site simultaneously, as opposed to migrating one section at a time. While an all-at-once site move will help Google algorithms detect and index the new site faster, it will also be beneficial for the user experience (as users will be better able to interact with the new site in its entirety).
- Monitor the site’s traffic – Once the site move has occurred, it’s advisable to monitor the site’s traffic to ensure that the migration has been smooth and that no potential problems have occurred.
Here, it’s important to point out that the above-described steps can be used for various types of URL changes associated with site moves, including those that involve:
- Protocol changes (http → https)
- Domain name changes (X.net → X.com)
- Changes to the URL path (X.com/abc → X.com/xyz).
Effective Internet Marketing Solutions at Epic Web Results
At Epic Web Results, our skilled industry professionals are up to date with the latest advances in Internet marketing and SEO best practices, and we are highly adept at designing and maintaining optimized websites that will soar to the top of search engines.
Our extensive experience developing the best possible online results for our Clients means that we consistently provide a variety of cost-effective Internet marketing solutions that can ultimately help grow our Clients’ businesses. Our goal is to provide your business or firm with aggressive, effective Internet marketing solutions that will help attract potential new clients while continuing to engage existing clients.
Contact Us Today
To learn more about our customized, innovative Internet marketing solutions, contact the professionals at Epic Web Results by calling (800) 501-9724 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page.