Picking up from where Semalt Spam: Why It’s a Problem & How to Remove It (Pt. 1) left off, here, we will continue discussing the issues with semalt, a service that has been spamming websites with junky referrer links since about this time last year.
While the first part of this blog series explained what semalt is and why it’s a problem for bloggers and website owners, below, we will provide you with a step-by-step explanation of how to remove semalt from your Google analytics for good. Keep in mind that you are also welcome to call Epic Web Results for help removing semalt or help with your other Google analytics and Internet marketing needs.
How to Remove Semalt from Google Analytics
To remove semalt from Google analytics, follow these steps:
- Step 1 – Login to your Google analytics account.
- Step 2 – From the menu at the top of the screen, select the “Admin” option. This is to the right of the menu bar after the “Customization” option.
- Step 3 – Once you are in the Admin section, select the “Filters” option that appears in the column that is all the way to the right-hand side of the page. If you do not see a Filters option, then you need to get the proper administrative rights to access this option.
- Step 4 – Select the “New Filter” option, which is featured in the red button at the top left-hand side of the page. By selecting this option, you can create customized filters for your website.
For instance, while this option will be effective for removing semalt from your Google analytics, it can also be an effective way to remove your (and your employees’) visits to your site so you can get a more accurate picture of the traffic to your site.
- Step 5 – Complete the fields that appear so that you create a filter that will remove semalt from your Google analytics.
To do this:
- Name the filter appropriately – The name can be “semalt,” “semalt filter” or something else that tells you what this filter is doing.
- Select “Custom Filter” in the Filter Type category (this is one of two options).
- Select the “Exclude” option at the top of the subsequent list.
- Select “Referral” as the Filter Field in the following drop-down menu.
- Type in “semalt.com” in the Filter Pattern box that follows.
- Select “No” in the Case Sensitive category at the bottom of the screen.
- Click “Save” to create the filter and effectively remove semalt from your Google analytics.
Keep in mind that, once this semalt filter is in place, it:
- Will filter out all future semalt referral links, including those from variations of semalt (such as xx.semalt.com)
- Will NOT retroactively filter semalt links, so anything from semalt prior to this filter will not be removed.
If you need further assistance blocking semalt from your site, interpreting your Google analytics or initiating any Internet marketing campaigns or activities, call Epic Web Results today.
Effective Internet Marketing Solutions at Epic Web Results
At Epic Web Results, our skilled industry professionals are up to date with the latest advances in Internet marketing and SEO best practices, and we are highly adept at designing and maintaining optimized websites that will soar to the top of search engines.
To learn more about our customized, innovative Internet marketing solutions, contact the professionals at Epic Web Results by calling (800) 501-9724 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page.