Aside from word of mouth, one of the primary ways that new clients will learn about your law firm is through Internet searches and looking through your website. This means that, while it’s crucial to have credible, informative content on your website (in the form of blogs, videos and general information pages), it’s also essential that you have testimonials from former clients who can describe:
- The legal problems they had been facing before working with you.
- Their experience working with you.
- The outcome of their case or legal matters.
- Whether they would recommend you to a close friend or family member for their legal needs.
In fact, having client testimonials on your law firm’s website – either in the form of videos or written testimonials – can make the difference in whether a potential new client even ends up contacting you, as a number of studies have shown that consumers heavily rely on others’ experiences with a service or product when they are making the decision to use or purchase that service or product themselves.
Tips for Getting Compelling Client Testimonials
- Ask for a client testimonial as soon as the client’s case or legal matter is wrapped up – Do not wait weeks or even months down the line to ask for a testimonial from your clients, as they may forget a lot of the details of their experience with you.
- Make it as easy as possible for the client to provide a testimonial – For example, send them an email requesting a statement or mail them a self-addressed stamped envelope so that they are more likely to send back the feedback you are requesting. You may even consider sending a small “Thank You” note with the request for the testimonial that thanks the client for choosing your law firm and kindly asks him or her to keep you in mind for any future legal needs they may have.