As a continuation of Tips for and Benefits of Using Google Authorship (Part1), here is some additional helpful information regarding how to use Google Authorship to improve your content’s appeal in search engine listings and, ultimately, to increase your website’s search engine ranking. While Part 1 focused on how to get started using Google Authorship, here in Part 2, we will focus on some best practice tips for using this powerful new feature.
Tips on Making the Most of Google Authorship
To make sure that your content is garnering the most visibility and you are getting the most out of using Google Authorship, follow these tips:
- Use a professional photo for your Google+ account. This will be the image that appears for each piece of content that you use Google Authorship for and, as such, it should present a credible, professional image of you.
- When building the “contributor to” area of your Google+ account, be sure to add links to as many of your profiles and/or social media accounts as possible. The more links you add here, the better your reputation will appear to be in the eyes of Google Authorship.
- Consider using WordPress’ Yoast SEO Plugin feature (if your website uses WordPress) to initiate Google Authorship (as this can greatly facilitate the process).
- Be sure to use Google Authorship not only for content you add to your website but also to content that you may contribute to other websites (as a guest author).
- Consider adding blurbs about or links to your Google+ profile to your website, e-newsletters or other online campaigns, as this can increase your Google+ connections, which can also help to lend you more credibility in Google Authorship.